Animal Control

Hancock County Animal Control

The Humane Society & SPCA of Hancock County provides animal control services for Hancock County. Hancock County Animal Control is tasked with enforcing state and city ordinances pertaining to dogs running at large, registration of dogs, vicious/dangerous dogs, and investigation of animal bites.

Complaints pertaining to dogs can be made by contacting the animal control office at 419-423-1664 Ext. 123.

Officers are on call during non-business hours to respond to emergency complaints. If needing assistance after hours, contact the Findlay Police Department or Hancock County Sheriff’s Office

All dogs over 3 months of age are required to be registerd in the county in which the dog is kept. The period of registration is between December 1st and January 31st each year.  Registration filed after this time will result in a penalty fee.
Ohio Revised Code 955.01

In addition to a certificate of registration, a metal tag will be issued for each dog.
Ohio Revised Code 955.08

No owner of a dog shall fail to require the dog to wear, at all times, a valid tag issued in connection with a certificate of registration.
Ohio Revised Code 955.10

Where to purchase a dog license

Dog licenses can be purchased at the Hancock County Auditor’s Office, located inside the Hancock County Courthouse, or at the Animal Control office, located at the Humane Society. Additionally, licenses can be purchased online through the Hancock County Auditor’s website here.

All dogs must be physically confined or restrained upon the premises of its owner, keeper, or harborer by a leash, tether, adequate fence, supervision, or secure enclosure to prevent escape. When off the premises of the owner, keeper, or harborer; dogs must be under reasonable control of some person. Ohio Revised Code 955.22

Complaints of dogs running loose can be made by contacting Animal Control at 419-423-1664 ext. 123.

Noise complaints regarding barking dogs are enforceable within the City of Findlay and the City of Fostoria under Ordinance 505.09

Barking or Howling dogs – Findlay
Barking or Howling dogs – Fostoria

For areas outside these city limits, it is advised to check if any enforceable ordinance exists within the township.

There are no state or city ordinances regarding licensing or confinement of cats. Any cat found roaming at large is considered a stray animal and can be rehomed without having to wait any length of time for an owner to claim.

Depending on current capacity, stray, friendly cats are accepted at the Humane Society. Persons finding a cat are encouraged to call to report a found cat and check if space is available for surrendering. Sick, injured, or pregnant cats will always be accepted.

Animal Control officers will respond to reports of sick or injured cats.

Hancock County Animal Control is authorized to enforce all licensing and control laws regarding dogs. Animal Control is not licensed to handle wildlife.

Any wildlife complaints or concerns should be directed to the Department of Wildlife at 419-424-5000, or a private trapper for nuisance animals.

Click here for a list of licensed nuisance wildlife trappers.