THE HUMANE SOCIETY & SPCA OF HANCOCK COUNTY
A Brief History
- The appointment of the first Humane Agent.
- The first rabies vaccination clinic was held.
- A “Kindness Club” was organized.
- The first newsletter was written and distributed to the membership.
- Under a special agreement with the County Auditor, the Society was permitted to sell dog licenses.
- William O’Brien Nature Trail was planned.
- Mary Brewer Ferguson designed the Society’s logo.
Of the more than 2,800 calls the Society received in 1974 included: an opossum in a garage, pet raccoons in a tree, an injured pigeon, a dove on a windowsill, a cat in a cistern, an owl in a fireplace, and a vicious dog holding up a funeral procession.
With the Society’s ever-increasing desire to serve the community, the services of the Dog Warden combined with the Humane Society in December 1990. The Society operated from three different locations until the present Adoption Center, at 4550 Fostoria